Thursday, September 08, 2005

It's Raining Politics

Yes, I know, once upon a time I loved politics. In fact, I loved it so much I took several degrees in it. And worked on campaigns.

This week? Not so much.

I am SO tired of average people in the US and their political games. The amount of time I've spent this week listening to people pontificating on why their party is so far superior is disgusting. It seems people come with two settings - "Blame it on Bush" or "Blame it on anyone but Bush". I've seen some pretty horrifying information supporting both sides, but for right now I just don't care.

What exactly is this accomplishing? Do people really see bashing as a productive passtime? Do they think they are helping someone? Solving problems?

Don't get me wrong - I'd love a fair and just investigation of everything that happened. Later.

There are so many issues we really need to be dealing with both short and long term. In the short term there are staggering issues related to the relocation and medium term care of the evacuees, the economic impacts on the country of losing oil and a major port, and costs of the rescue and recovery effort.

More long term issues include the questions around the poverty in this country this tragedy has brought to light, the need for better and more comprehensive crisis plans, healing race relations, rebuilding the port of New Orleans, rebuilding the Mississippi coast and rerouting the US dependence on oil.

Those are some pretty major questions to face. Perhaps those that are spending great efforts turning this into a political battle could focus on one of these issues and start working on a solution. Or spend some time volunteering for an organization that is helping out with the relocation efforts. Be creative.

A couple of closing thoughts. Relevant magazine has a really great article on their site right now that addresses the issue of poverty. I challenge you to read it. The link is here.

In talking with a friend earlier this week he reminded me that God is in control and we will see His hand in the events that have happened and are to come. With every great crisis there is the potential for tremendous positive change. While we certainly need to mourn with those who mourn and to comfort those that are hurting, we also need to seize the opportunity to effect change in the world. Wonderful things may end up coming out of this. I want to stop talking and start doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home