Thursday, August 17, 2006

Good Stuff Part II

Yes, I'm still reading Psalm 69. No, it's not that I can only read a few words a day. I've been re-reading and re-reading this passage.

Here's the second piece that really struck me:
6 May those who hope in you
not be disgraced because of me,
O Lord, the LORD Almighty;
may those who seek you
not be put to shame because of me,
O God of Israel.
7 For I endure scorn for your sake,
and shame covers my face.
8 I am a stranger to my brothers,
an alien to my own mother's sons;
9 for zeal for your house consumes me,
and the insults of those who insult you fall on me.
10 When I weep and fast,
I must endure scorn;
11 when I put on sackcloth,
people make sport of me.
12 Those who sit at the gate mock me,
and I am the song of the drunkards.


This really reflects a lot of what I've been feeling for a couple of months now. I expect that non-Christians won't understand my lifestyle or choices, but it really hurts when Christians mock prayer/fasting/other things that are seen as "too zealous". What's wrong with wanting to read the Bible? What's wrong with wanting to spend time in prayer?

I think a lot of Christians want to be "cool" about their faith. Sure they're Christians, but they want to make sure people know that they aren't "one of those" kinds of Christians. Sure, they're Christians, but they still go to all kinds of movies and aren't TOO into the church thing. The Bible's a great book for some moral suggestions, but can't take it too literally.

Why are we so concerned with people not thinking we're too committed or invested? Is keeping one foot in the world some kind of a safety net in case God lets you down?

Everyone has to make their own choices, but I think for Christians to mock those who choose to live a surrendered lifestyle are treading on dangerous ground. That, however, is between them and God. My issue is how to relate to "brothers and sisters in Christ" who seem to think I belong in the loony bin for following the Bible. How do I invest in relationships where I know people feel this way about me?

This Psalm was really comforting to me. Good to know that David felt this same way and that countless others have clung to this scripture before me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bryan said...

Alright. 2 questions. Who's giving you grief for praying too seriously? And, who cares? Tell 'em to shove it. Or better yet, pray for them. Sometime during the 24 X 7 you should be able to find a moment.

Ok, that was sarcastic. But in a fair way, you've got to admit. It's kind of funny, being frustrated about other people's response to your praying and blogging about it rather than praying about it.

Ok. Don't pray God's curses into my life. I don't need grasshoppers ruining my back lawn.

11:35 PM  
Blogger Joy said...

Comment well taken.

No grasshoppers for you.

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home