Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Third Time's the Charm???

I was looking back over old blog entries over the weekend and realized I had forgotten to report the latest in my series of life dramas.

Yes, the rumors are true. My second iPod, Daria, died in March. Once again, a screen of death, sad cries from me, bad news from the Apple help desk and an iPod coffin arriving in the mail. Sigh. Within a week I had a shiny new iPod. This one was christened Cordelia. Bonus points if you know what the name is a reference to. And yes, I know Daria was a better name, but Daria died and we all have to move on.

So, this raises a question. How can such a fantastic piece of modern engineering be such a lemon for me? How do other people get an iPod that lasts for years and I get iPods that last 3-6 months? It's not like I do anything different.

One possibility raised was that it is my use of the iMonster car play cables that kills iPods. Evidently this was a pattern with someone else. So, I pulled up Amazon and ordered the iTrip.

This may be one of the worst feats of engineering. The thing won't stay in place. The reception is always staticky. Every time I hit a pothole the thing disconnects (it's spring in New England, what do you mean "Just don't hit the potholes"??).

Since the primary place I listen to the iPod is in the car, this presents a quandry. Do I risk iPod #3 (aka Cordelia) by using the iMonster cables? Or, do I use the iTrip, risk my blood pressure and never really hear anything? What a fabulous set of options!

What do other people do? Help help!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

In-dash CD Deck?

That's actually not the one I use - mine is an Aiwa with a front Aux input, but it's worked beautifully ever since I got it.

FM transmitters = teh suck :P

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Risk the iPod as long as your iPod warranty is still in effect. :-)

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use this, and I love it!

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home