Thursday, January 11, 2007

All That is "Spiritual"

On Christmas Day I played Apples to Apples with my family in the afternoon. I have to learn that game brings out the rebel in me.

So, the turn comes around to me and the word is "spiritual". Everyone says they have the perfect card and I'll be choosing there's. Cool. So, I go through all the cards. I can't remember them all, but they went Nepal, Tibet, etc. The card I chose was "Saturday morning cartoons". I thought they were going to kick me out of the family for heresy.

I thought of that tonight when I came home and there was a "one spirit" catalogue waiting for me. The subtitles were as follows:
"Renewal: The Healthy Brain Kit"
"Spirituality: Mother God/Father God"
"Peace: How to See Yourself as You Really Are/Essence of the Heart Sutra"

Why do I get this stuff? I get it all the time. Is it because I went to Perspectives? Is it because I subscribe to Christianity Today? Is it because I made a contribution to Samaritan's Purse? Because seriously, the stuff I get is not spiritual to me. If I had to choose all these catalogues or the daily trash, I still might choose the daily trash as more spiritual.

If God really is all around us, why do we uphold whatever crap people label as "spiritual" as more spiritual than our daily lives?

And how do I get on all these zany mailing lists??

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home