Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The Latest on Clay

Since Bryan so nicely asked for a blog entry on Clay.....

Well, first of all, I'm no longer talking like a teenage boy, if anyone was worried. I still can't sing that well, but I can at least talk properly.

What's new with Clay? Here's the thing - I hardly know. It's been an interesting winter of change for me. I've been taking the Perspectives course and doing a lot of great reading from Erwin McManus, Louis Giglio, Rob Bell and Peter Greig. Lots of new ideas (oh, did I mention the small group study by Mike Bickle?) and a huge amount of challenge. Last night at Perspectives the speaker asked "Has God called you to be in ________ (insert the name of my town)? No? Then you need to go to the mission field."

Now, as luck would have it, right now I am called to be right here, but that doesn't take away from the impact all this is having.

How does this relate to Clay Aiken? I still think he's a really great guy and a talented singer (not to mention having a really interesting ministry). I hope his music will always bring a smile to my face and that I'm still able to go to the occasional concert. However, I'm not all that concerned with the minutia of his life or the drama of the fandom anymore. No need to be competitive about being a better fan than the next person.

Having said that, being a fan of Clay has introduced me to a lot of interesting people and taught me a lot about myself. I hope those good parts never fade.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Preach it, Sister!

7:17 PM  
Blogger Bryan said...

Ok, ok. So where's the fodder for me to begin my mockery?

Reading McManus and Bell? Investing in your church? If I was to start I think it would sound something like "Hey pot, this is the kettle"

That's great stuff.

I will mention though that my view on the Perspective's speaker's theory on missions is that he is misguided. The Bible is clear that God uses people where they're at and He calls them to obedience. I am an advocate of challenging people to a greater sense of obedience in God and a greater sense of spiritual initiative. However, I'm afraid a statement as sweeping as that does more damage than good. Besides, what is the missions field? In my company I think that less than 5% of employees are active followers of Christ. Should I abandon them for some romantic view of going elsewhere to spread the gospel?

I tried and God closed the door. How does that fit within the speaker's systematic theology?

Bryan

11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a huge fan of Clay Aiken and I really like what you wrote about him. Thanks for sharing.

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home