Sunday, June 19, 2005

Big Day for Pops

I've noticed something interesting this year. Father's Day receives substantially less attention than Mother's Day. In the press, at your local Hallmark store and pretty much everywhere else. The other day I saw a poll that said people thought you should spend more on a Mother's Day present.

Now, I understand that mothers are the ones that actually give birth. And I understand that not everyone has a dad and there's an effort not to make non-traditional families feel left out.

What really surprised me is when Father's Day nearly went by without mention at church. While the 50s version of family may have put more emphasis on the mother's role, in a modern world, it seems important (at least to me) to emphasize and reward the role of fathers in their childrens' lives.

So, on this Father's Day, I raise my root beer to all the fathers out there. Especially mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home