Thursday, March 01, 2007

Melodrama


Is it just me, or are weather forecasters put on this earth to cause me stress? Do they have to pass some kind of test to prove that they can over react to anything? Do they feel their worth is proven by their power to make us cower on command?

I ask because weather.com seems to be having some kind of a fit. Yesterday I checked and there was something yellow across the top of my screen. And it was blinking. In effect the message is "hey idiot - if you haven't been paying attention something's going to happen soon." This I find useful. This tells me to be careful what I plan and make sure I'm wearing suitable shoes (that could be my mantra for every morning).

This morning the banner is flashing orange and tells me something major is about to happen. So, I go and read the warning. 3 inches of snow. Okay, I'll bring my laptop home tonight and be prepared. Not exactly what I would call major. And why must everything flash?

Now I went on and there's a red blinking banner telling me there's a SEVERE WEATHER ALERT. Same storm as this morning, upgraded to 5 inches.

While I appreciate that I should take some precautions, is this really SEVER WEATHER? Seriously? Where does that leave us to go with say tornadoes, hurricanes, major flooding or anything else that might be severe? How do you make it more attention getting than red and blinking?

I appreciate that the kind folks at weather.com are trying to warn me, but given the state of my nerves this week, flashing something that indicates that the world is going to end is a little too much drama for 5 inches of snow.

Or maybe it's just that I'm Canadian.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

Well 5 inches of snow causes all of the Seattle-folks to go ape-shi*t crazy and flee to the grocery stores to empty the shelves.

For us, that is A LOT of snow.

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You see in in Newfoundland that would get a big red flasher saying, ok everyone gas up. Lots of snow comin, get the ski-doo's ready!

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home